Ok, here is the info...
We found out at the beginning of July that Drew has sleep apnea. Well, actually we figured it out in June when family was staying with us and Drew slept with John and I since they were using his bed. I noticed that he stopped breathing repeatedly throughout the night...usually for about 4 seconds...but sometimes up to 6 seconds or so. So I called his pediatrician the next day and she set us up with an ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor after we returned from our little vacation in St. Louis. We were told to audio tape him sleeping so they could hear it. When we got to the ENT, he asked us to describe the sound and then he looked in his mouth. After that he said he didn't need to even listen to the recording. He has HUGE tonsils and we had just described sleep apnea (which I already knew since my dad suffers from the same thing). We were told that if not treated in a child, it can cause major perminant damage. But the good thing was, by removing his tonsils and adenoids it would be solved.

That brings us to the surgery date that is quickly approaching :) This coming Friday, August 15th we take him in bright and early (have to be there at 6am...thankfuly we only live about a 10-15 minute drive away from the hospital) for him to have his tonsils and adenoids removed :) He is nervous, but so far not really arguing with us about it. We are hoping this might also solve some of the behavior problems we have with him...since I know I am cranky and disagreeable when I don't get enough sleep!
So please keep us in your prayers and thoughts this coming Friday...and the week after as he recovers. We are told that it will be done via lasers which should mean a less chance of bleeding complications as well as a quicker healing.
*******
Added:
Ok, went back and looked and I had posted a little something before about Drew's surgery (on July 13th), so I haven't completely lost it...yet ;) This entry gives a little more information in it though.











3 comments:
Oh Jen, I am so glad you have found this all out while he is little and can deal with it so much better. I had my tonsils removed out when i was 23!!!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that you all get through it relatively unscathed both physically and emotionally.
I will keep you in my prayers on Friday and be thinking of you all :)
mega hugs, and big squeeze to Drew for being brave :)
Gillxx
Oh Jen, you poor thing! I know it is scary to be facing this as a parent, but they will look after him and everything will be fine... I will be keeping all of you in my thoughts on Friday.... take care and {{{hugs}}} :-)
Well, I'm sure all will go well and he'll feel much better after the surgery! My youngest was 18 months when he went in for hernia surgery. It was probably scarier for me than him because he was too young to know what was up. But it was all fine. Good luck and I'll say a prayer...
Post a Comment